While buying a pre-owned car can offer you the same comfort and luxury without having to spend a huge amount, there are possibilities of getting duped or paying more than the worth of the car. So it is recommended to take the help of Pre-purchase Inspection services or ensure that you personally check each and every single aspect of the car before you buy it.
Here are a few useful tips that can help you to select the pre-owned used car for your use.
Used Cars Evaluation Tips: Exteriors
- Though checking the exterior might seem a pretty easy task it does require a great deal of focused attention. For most people if the car is free of rust, dent and scratches, the exteriors are alright. But you should also pay an equal attention to check the alignment of panels and look for the considerable gaps as many times during repairs the improper assembling of car can result in misaligned panels. Along with that you should also check for the consistency of paint color. Ideally each part of the exterior should reflect the regular consistency of shade.
- One of the best ways to check if the body filler is used to patch a dent is the use of magnet. You can take a little magnet and see whether or not it sticks to a particular area. If the magnet does not stick to any particular portion it indicates that the portion had been dented in the past and is patched using body fillers.
- The rust is the major cause of concern as its effect is not only limited to the cosmetic appeal of the body but also indicates the future possibility of further problems. While checking for the rust it is not enough to limit your attention to main body only. You should also ensure that the rocker panels, door bottoms and even wheel wells are also free of rust. While examining some awkward angles like wheel wells employ the use of a flashlight for close observation.
- Doors are the most frequently used parts of a car. Hence there are possibilities that they are affected by long or irresponsible use. So you must open and close the doors of each side and examine for loose hinges, shaky panels or any other matter of concern. You should also check if the handles of the doors are secured. Don’t forget to check the door locks for proper functionality.
- Car glasses should be checked thoroughly to rule out any possibility of dented areas, scratches and cracks. The front portion of a car is more prone to scratches because of the malfunctioning of wiper. While the considerable scratches in the center of glass are certainly not acceptable, you should check for the presence of scratches along the corners of the car. These scratches can effectively be cited while asking for a bargain.
- The best way to check the functionality of suspension is to bounce each corner. If the car rebounds single time that indicates the proper functionality of suspension. However if the shock absorbers are not working properly the car will move up and down several times. Tug the front tire back and forth and observe is you hear any sound. A clunking sound indicates that wheel bearings may be shot.
- Fogged lighting is one of the most common problems found in the exteriors of used car. So it is recommended to check that the lights are working fine and functions well. The light lenses should not be cracked. Likewise the reflectors should be intact and work in the desired way.
- Check well the tread wear while examining the tires. They should be even across the entire width. They should ideally be same on car’s left and right sides. You should ensure that all the 4 tires are the original ones. Generally till the distance of 15,000 miles the original tires need not to be changed. So if the car is showing a distance less than 15,000 miles but does not have its original tires it should be a matter of concern. Either the owner has rolled back the odometer or the car might have gone through some major incident that affected the tires.
Inspection Tips for Used Cars Interior
- If you open the car and instantly sense a sharp, pungent smell it indicates that either the driver or the regular passengers of the car were heavy smokers. Such kind of smell might be kept at a bay with the use of air freshener but it is next to impossible to get permanent rid so this smell as the smell has entered into the upholstery.
- Many times the owner uses seat mats to hide the shabby or worn out upholstery. Hence you should take off the seat mats and check for any kind of wear and tear. Use both your eyes and hands to feel any kind of wear and tear symptoms that can affect the overall passenger experience in the car.
- Examine the engine carefully. If it takes long to start or you need attempt several times then there is a major cause of concern.
- Keep the engine on and turn on heater and AC to ensure that they function instantly without taking some time.
- Load the CD and eject it to see whether the CD players work fine. For further confirmation you can also choose to play the CD and check the sound.
- If you see the stains and sagging on roof trim, it indicates that water leaks through the improperly aligned doors or ill functioning windows. So you should close the door and check whether it closes properly without leaving any gap,